Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Good Story

I'm writing this with the assumtion that the reader knows what Netflix is. If you don't, it's a movie streaming site, look it up.

For those who do know, you know that Netflix suggests movies based on what you've previously watched. So I watch a lot of sci-fi movies, and a movie Netflix suggests is called "the Host" which came out this year. If you haven't seen it, relax, there's no real spoilers here.

I'd never heard of this movie, but I watched it anyway. I get through the movie and I like it. When the end credits roll, I read the words "based on the book by Stephenie Meyer", as in the writer of the Twilight series.

I was taken aback. First, because I had no idea Meyer had written another book. Second, because I actually liked the story of "the Host".

Let me say I actually did read Twilight. I read all four books, and I didn't find them engaging. Everything I found wrong with them could be summed up in that there wasn't a moral question. "The Host" had a moral question the main characters had to decide, Twilight not so much. While it was still very much a romantic story, aimed at young people for sure, the characters had moral delemas, and they grew throughout, at least the main character did. The main girl was an active character, which I liked.

Anyway, great movie. Mrs. Meyer, you have redeemed yourself in my eyes. That probably doesn't matter to you, but I just wanted to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment