Friday, October 25, 2013

Reading through Jefferson Bethke's book Jesus>Religion. Great book, and I would highly recommend it. Only through Chapter Three, but I'd thought I would like to share my favorite part so far.

From Pages 12 and 13:

In author C. S. Lewis's classic book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the kids ask if the lion, Aslan - who represents Jesus - is safe. "'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver; 'don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'"

That's what the real Jesusu is like. He isn't safe. His words, his life, and his cross completely destory the notion of him being safe. His grace is dangerous, ferocious, violent, and uncontrollable. It can't be tamed. Does it bother anyone else that seemingly the first, and sometimes only, prayer people pray when the go on mission trips is that they'd stay "safe"?

It's important that we discover the real Jesus by seeing what the Bible says about him. I think you might be as surprised as I was.

That's only one of the points he's made so far in his book. For more about his ministry, check out his Youtube Channel, Jefferson Bethke, where he shares other poems and teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment