Wednesday, October 23, 2013

People say that being Christian is a difficult thing to admit. Others say that being openly Athiest is difficult to admit. Either way, they're right. I think being open about your opinion, any opinion, is risky. We live in a world that is more connected than any in our history. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, all sorts of social media sites allow us to share our every thought with the world, but so many use the internet as a mask. America is a very individualistic country, but there is still that pressure to conform. Declaring what you believe, no matter what it is, whether religious or non-religious, is scary. Being open opens you up to pain and ridicule, I know this as much as anyone. Stereotypes are slapped on you when you state how you think. I am lucky enough to belong to a family that accepts what I have chosen for my life, even though it isn't what I was born to. Catholicism to Protestantism may on the outside not seem like much of a change, but it was something I was scared to admit to my family for a long time. But, they've been very open-minded, which is a quality they've passed on to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment