Monday, October 28, 2013

If you've been following my last few posts, you'll probably notice I like talking about religion and spirituality. Everything I've said so far on this subject are my honest thoughts. So before I get into this again, let me just cement myself a little bit. I'm Christian, I was born to a Christian family and raised as a Christian, and I will certainly raise my future family in a Christian environment, because I see it as a good environment.

Now let me say this purely hypothetically; if I honestly did not see Christianity as good in my life, if I saw it as unnecessary or even detrimental to me, I would leave the faith. If I too believed as so many do that Christians were only hypocritical bigots then I'd push them out of my life, and there are aspects of Christianity I do not accept because I do not agree with them, but I digress for now.

The topic today is what many call "New Age" ideologies or religions. I'm reluctant to call these religions because I've never read or heard of a New Age book describe a deity, per say. None I don't think try to replace scripture. I think New Age writers are only trying to teach what every major religion is trying to teach; how one should live, and how one can do so happily and reach a higher level of being.

At this point I have to bring up a Christian belief that I do not agree with, and that is the belief that everything not "Christian" is wrong and therefore evil. I think this is an unfair assessment; I've read New Age books and none have in any way affected me negatively, or I've even found congruences with Christian thought.  Plenty of other historical sages like Lao Tzu, the Buddha, and Confucius never mentioned Jesus, but preached peace, and how are they "evil"?

As my little advice block says, question everything. Leave no stone unturned, or you'll never know what you're missing out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment